Author Topic: PETA  (Read 23316 times)

Offline Springfield Elephant

• Zookeeper
PETA
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »
I personnally dont support PETA. I think they claim false ads. Such as saying that zoos are animal prisons.

This topic is to be a civilized conversation. Not an argument! I started this to see how many PETA supporters are on this site, so please be respective of others and be civilized. Tahnk you.

Offline Wooly Rhino

• Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
    • http://s15.invisionfree.com/shadowstar/index.php?act=idx
PETA
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »
NO!! is a slight understatement. (for me)

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
PETA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:15:04 PM »
Well I voted no because generally I don't like them. I agree with their main principles, treat animals with respect and kindness. Basically something I do since I am a vegitarian etc... Eventhough they have a goal and basis I agree with, I do not like them as an organisation. They do not have the right approach, they are mean, and just not right. I think zoos can be ok as long as the animals have appropriate exhibits and so on...

I MUCH prefer groups like the WWF who aren't in your face with annoying things. :)

Offline Snowstalker

• Scientist
    • http://zoo.ogresnet.com
PETA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »
NONONONO!!!!!

Here's some info

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/index.cfm

Offline Spyder

• Zookeeper
    • http://
PETA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:43:15 PM »
There was ad saying to go Vegetarian - I DON'T WANT TO GET RICKETTS!! (and all the other diseases you can catch from vegetarianism)

Offline brownwolf

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:48:28 PM »
I support them *sometimes*, so I have no answer for your poll. Yes, they often go overboard, but they do have good motives and they have rescued a lot of animals.

Some zoos, such as "roadside zoos" ARE animal prisons. Others have incredible breeding programs, such as ones that help the Giant Pandas.

However I prefer Defends of Wildlife.

EDIT: PETA kills animals?!

Offline Electric Eel

• Snow Tigers
  • Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 12:49:54 PM »
Originally posted by penguinman@Mar 1 2006, 10:15 PM
They do not have the right approach, they are mean, and just not right. I think zoos can be ok as long as the animals have appropriate exhibits and so on...

I MUCH prefer groups like the WWF who aren't in your face with annoying things. :)
I totally agree with you.

Offline HorseGal

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
I don't support PETA. I agree with Penguinman.

Offline brownwolf

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »
From the PETA Kills Animals site:

PETA runs campaigns seemingly calculated to offend religious believers. One entire PETA website is devoted to the claim-despite ample evidence to the contrary-that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian.
As a Christian, that bothers me very much. Jesus assisted in fishing quite a few times; he wouldn't have done that if PETA's claims are true. That's just wrong; making up lies about Jesus so that they can get their point across.  :angry

Offline HorseGal

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:57:50 PM »
That is very wrong! I am a christan too and I agree with you.

Offline Takins

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »
Personally, I find them one of the most ridiculous if not the most ridiculous of animal rights protest groups. As a Jew, their comment about eating meat being comparable to the Holocaust disgusts me. However, at least they don't send death threats and plant bombs like their extremist friends.

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
PETA
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »
:>< They said JESUS was a vegitarian?

I do NOT support them, I'm sorry, but they are just...I don't.

Takins, they said that?

Offline brownwolf

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »
Originally posted by Takins@Mar 2 2006, 03:10 PM
Personally, I find them one of the most ridiculous if not the most ridiculous of animal rights protest groups. As a Jew, their comment about eating meat being comparable to the Holocaust disgusts me. However, at least they don't send death threats and plant bombs like their extremist friends.
Yeah, the Holocaust was a HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE thing and was all because of prejudice. We don't eat meat because we're cruel, we eat meat because we're hungry.

Offline Wolf Sister

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
I support them most of the time, but I will admit, sometimes PETA's obsession can get in the way of better judgement. I am a vegetarian and quite proud of the fact that I have improved my overall health by doing so. Learning about some of the horrible things that people have done for thrill or cash, I myself am quite embarrased to be human.

Offline marleybug

• Zookeeper
  • Arabians in Spring
PETA
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
I am a vegitarian, but its not because I am worried about the rights of animals. I just never really felt like trying meat(although I do like pepperoni but that isn't all meat I think there is a lot of wax in it). PETA goes overboard a lot. God said after the flood that we should eat meat. I think its great that they try to get animals adopted, but it would be better if they had fundrasers for pounds and stuff. The pound in my town is really small and could really use donations. My famliy gives them extra pet food that we have. Sometimes I will set up a lemonade stand and give them all the money. PETA really needs to calm down. God gave us the animals to use and to have domion over not to have as equals. They are animals. I really love animals, but I think PETA is a little to much. I voted No.(obivously)

Offline Ooot

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 02:13:36 PM »
Personally, I don't ssupport them, but I put lower case no becuase I know someone in PETA, whose a real nice person.  Vegetarian, though.  She does actually support zoos though, and (I believe) volenteers at one :mellow

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
Originally posted by Ooot@Mar 2 2006, 04:13 PM
Personally, I don't ssupport them, but I put lower case no becuase I know someone in PETA, whose a real nice person.  Vegetarian, though.  She does actually support zoos though, and (I believe) volenteers at one :mellow
Im not saying that PETA is made of bad people, i just think that their organization is bad and how they go about their goals. I much more support the WWF, and PETA attacked my local zoo, wich i dont like.

Also i dont like this product they are making. Its reffering to Mr. Vice Presedent Cheney and his hunting insedent, by the way. click here

Offline Animalover44

• Raptor Pack
  • Senior Zookeeper
    • ZooMania
PETA
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »
I don't actually know anything about them. I voted no anyways though. From what I've seen other people say, They have the right principles, just not the right attitude.  I agree that zoos aren't the best places for animals. I would much rather see a giant panda roaming through bamboo forests and a herd of wildebeest running across the plains. But in today's world, zoos are the safest  places for endangered species. I mean, many of today's species may not be where they are because of zoos like the Sandiego Wildlife Park.

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »
Also, just a few reasons why i dont support them, my theatre teacher has friends in Kansas City were they chose to wear fur coats to a fancy gala. This is their choose to wear fur, i think its wrong, but i would never throw synthetic blood on them. Thats right, some PETA employees threw red water on those people in KC. I think that is WRONG!

They also say animals are not ours to eat, but as a christian, they are. I dont think we should eat wild animals, nesisaraly, but farm animals i do. And i hardly see how zoos are a part of the entertainment venue.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
PETA
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
No, I don't support them.  I can understand trying to help animals, but they take some thing overboard and there's lots of other ways they could help.

Offline TYCOON1

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »
After reading all these comments and clicking on the links, I should have changed my vote from no to NO!! I don't know if it's true or not, but this video I saw from PETA showed something like you shouldn't drink milk because of unfair treatment of cows (if they did take time to go to some farms, the milk cows are treated better than they would ever think). They're not getting their message across. They are only digusting people and putting up false information of things that they want people to believe.

Offline wolfclan4515

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
PETA
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 06:18:27 PM »
I support the idea of protecting animals but I think PETA goes over board with their animal rights.

Offline brownwolf

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 06:49:19 PM »
Yes, we do have dominion over animals. However the infamous verse in Genesis "fill the Earth and subdue it" is often twisted.

We are supposed to reflect the character of God, and this includes how we treat the creatures we have dominion over. Abusing them (such as using them in bullfights) simply does not reflect the character of God. Using them to find cures for diseases, thus saving the most precious of God's creation (humans, like it or not PETA), is not a sin. However I am strongly against using them to test unnecessary cosmetic products, such as make-up, which does nothing for humanity except satisfy our *general* desire for beauty (not all of us care about make-up).

Offline HorseGal

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »
I agree with you, brownwolf 100%! I also agree with you on the make-up thing. We do not really need it. Heck, I don't even wear make-up. I hate make-up!

Offline creationfan

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 08:08:44 PM »
Yes, we do have dominion over animals. However the infamous verse in Genesis "fill the Earth and subdue it" is often twisted.

We are supposed to reflect the character of God, and this includes how we treat the creatures we have dominion over. Abusing them (such as using them in bullfights) simply does not reflect the character of God. Using them to find cures for diseases, thus saving the most precious of God's creation (humans, like it or not PETA), is not a sin. However I am strongly against using them to test unnecessary cosmetic products, such as make-up, which does nothing for humanity except satisfy our *general* desire for beauty (not all of us care about make-up).
Absolutely right! We're not just supposed to subdue it (control it) we're supposed to take care of it. Also, the Hebrew word for "subdue" also means "study". So God is also telling us to study His works.

I do agree with them about taking care of animals, they do need our help because we didn't follow Gods command. But they shouldn't go psycho on people that don't share their extreme beliefs. Something some PETA people did to a member of my family is nearly unforgiveable. They wanted to set his dog free because he was taking a few minutes to eat inside a restaurant with his family. The windows were halfway down so she could get fresh air but not run into the highway. But PETA members came by and opened a car door and stuck a note in his windshield wiper that told him his dog could've died of heat exhaustion! Luckily for Crystal (the dog's name) she was smarter then those guys that opened the door. When they came out of the restaurant they saw the door wide open and Crystal sitting far away from it.

And a friend of mine spreads those "cow hurter" rumors, but never gives any information as to where they had to go or who went. Any farm that I ever volunteered at treated their cows with more respect then you'd think a cow should get  :wtg ! She even showed me pictures of mutilated cows as I was eating a cheeseburger :><  :sick !